Sunday, December 1, 2024

A Comedy of Errors

 

Julie's dogs - Lily and Penny

To all the missionaries, Saturday, Nov 18, 2023

Scott and I were going to visit Julie McCann last night, but she ended up coming home from the hospital. And I ended up going to the Princess Tea, and I just ended up not making it to her house. So I texted her a "Welcome home!" and asked if I could bring dinner tonight instead.  She said, yes, that would be much appreciated, so I planned on it.

This morning I thought, I better check with the Relief Society to make sure we're not all bringing dinner on the same nights. I messaged the lady over the meals and didn't get a hold of her until almost 4:00, so I was a little late getting the meal started.  But it's all fine!  I can whip up a dinner in that amount of time, no problem.

I had also been asked by our missionaries to give the talk on baptism for a convert baptism tonight at 6. I spent an hour or two preparing my talk. I felt inspired, and I was sure it was going to go well. I planned an exciting story of the conversion of Alma the Younger, with lots of expression! 

I had some leftover ingredients from the lentil stew (it sounds gross, but it's really good) that I made for Jessalyn earlier. So I made a second batch. It was all going well. I got ready to go, and went to the kitchen to pack up the dinner. I was cutting it a little closer than I should have, but I was sure it would be fine. 

Then I went to dump the stew into an ice cream bucket to carry it to the McCanns, and I dumped too quickly, so most of it went into the bucket, but some of it went right down the kitchen counter and splattered all down my skirt. At 5:40. It's okay, it's just fine, I'll clean it up real quick and drop off the food, and I'll still be fine.

Just to be on the safe side, I texted the missionaries and said I'm coming, I'll just be late. So they can go on without me.

Food to the McCanns. As I'm talking to RC at the door, Julie calls, "Is that Tiffany and Scott?"  Oh shoot, she was still planning on both of us coming to visit, and I hadn't brought Scott (her favorite), and I hadn't left enough time to chat.  😖 I went in to apologize and explain, and I said I'm sorry to have to leave so quickly and said goodbye five times, and I ended up leaving her house at 6:05.  I checked my phone and our ward mission leader had tried to call me.  I messaged him, "I'm on my way!" and drove straight down to the stake center.  I wondered if they had already done the baptism and the talk on the Holy Ghost, and I would be the last speaker.  No.    I walked in and the entire congregation was just waiting for me to show up so they could start the program.  😳

As God often reminds me, "I give unto men weaknesses that they may be humble...." So embarrassing!  I wasn't even able to get all of the stew off of my skirt, so I looked and smelled like a walking stewpot. Julie's dog, Penny, loved me!!  Penny kept begging for the dinner that she could tell was hiding somewhere on my person. 😋

All's well that ends well?  I hope?  🙏  There was a really strong spirit of love at the baptism. Both of Jayden's parents (mom and step dad, whom he lives with) were in attendance, as well as his cute 2- or 3-year-old sister, who tried to climb the clear wall to jump into the font and be baptized after him. 😄

I hope that all of your mission work is as entertaining, and not as embarrassing, as mine was tonight!!

Love,
Mom/Aunt Tiffany





No comments:

Post a Comment