Sunday, October 10, 2010

(More than) 15 Books I've Read That Will Always Stick With Me

(A response from Tiffany to a challenge from sister-in-law, Kala)

The Book of Mormon – I had a wonderful experience reading it in 100 days this year with my ward Relief Society. I am currently typing up my journal from those 100 days for personal/family history.

The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery is my absolute favorite romance novel, because I identify with so much in it.

Mother Goose Rhymes – I associate these with my mom, whom I greatly admire as a teacher. She gave me a nice copy for our family when our oldest was getting old enough to enjoy them. It is the same version I read growing up (which she still has on her bookshelf).

Heidi by Johanna Spyri – I have probably read this book more times than any other. I read it many times when I was young, and I have read it aloud twice so far to my children. I love its messages of faith and hope and trust in God.

A New Dawn by Jack Weyland – This was inspirational to me in high school as I was planning and hoping for a great college experience (which I had!).

I read a biographical story for children about Thomas Alva Edison when I was between 10 and 12 years old – I don’t remember who wrote it, and I haven’t ever seen it again, but it has affected my life and my personal vision ever since.

The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr., edited by Clayborne Carson – “I am in Birmingham because injustice is here.” What an incredibly humble, powerful, inspirational man!

The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern, edited by William Goldman – This book is excellently written, funny historical satire, as well as a great fairy tale. It is one of those books you can read an infinite number of times and enjoy it just as much the 99th time as you did the first.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – unequivocally the most elegant and admired Cinderella tale ever told.

In light of recent counsel to focus on the important relationships in our lives, here are some of my favorite reads in that area:

I am lucky enough to have this awesome husband who thinks our relationship is the only important matter there is. Since we both like to read, it is a tradition in our marriage to always be reading together a relationship book. We started with Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by John Gray. We are currently reading Red-Hot Monogamy: Making Your Marriage Sizzle by Bill and Pam Farrel and How to Flirt: A Practical Guide by Marty Westerman.

I am impressed by everything written by Richard and Linda Eyre that I’ve read so far – A Joyful Mother of Children, How to Talk to Your Kids About Sex, Teaching Children Joy, and more.

I Don’t Have to Make Everything All Better by Gary Lundberg and Joy Saunders Lundberg – how to build and strengthen any kind of relationship.

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish – This is one of the few parenting books I have seen that gives a lot of good ideas to build relationships and teach children and doesn't imply, “If you do it my way, you will have perfectly behaved children” (like most parenting philosophies do). With lots of comic-style illustrations, it is also easy to read.

More books that have influenced me as a mother:

Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin. And many other books about autism, including Son Rise, There’s a Boy in Here, Horse Boy, and more. I feel like I’m becoming a mini-authority, or at least a good general resource on the subject of learning disabilities.

Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: a Mother's Story of Research and Recovery by Karyn Seroussi. This book started me on the journey of putting our family on a gluten-free diet two years ago, which is a continuing adventure.

The Man Who Listens to Horses by Monty Robers – autobiography/memoir of a man who uses natural horsemanship to train and work with horses. Reading that book started me thinking about and studying the power of nonverbal communication. Monty Roberts explains in detail how he observed and communicated nonverbally with horses, and I like to observe and think about nonverbal communication with and among children.

More favorite read-alouds:

Ooka the Wise or The Case of the Marble Monster and Other Stories by I. G. Edmonds (a Solomon-like judge in Japan solves cases others cannot). This is a memorable children’s book I read when I was young, and we continue to read it to our children.

Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder – What a treasure of knowledge!

The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne. This is our family’s favorite read-aloud by far, mostly the chapter in which “A Search is Organdized” and Pooh and Piglet fall into a Heffalump trap. Ho-ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment