We went to Walmart and ate lunch at an ice cream shop called Braum's. We picked up some Little Ceasar's breadsticks for Aysha, and tried to leave town. The GPS routed us through town, and our total time in Amarillo ended up being three hours.
We had to make many bathroom stops after Amarillo. One time we stopped at a gas station in Dalhart. It had a walk-in beer cooler that was fully one-fourth of the entire store! While we were waiting in line for the one small restroom, we saw many men come in and out of that big cooler for their refreshment.
We didn't want to sleep in two motel rooms again, so I was impressed to look for a motel with family suites. We found a hotel in Colorado Springs called America's Best Value that was a good value for us! We unloaded at 9 p.m. and let the younger ones swim in the pool. Scott walked down the street to McDonald's and brought back a bunch of chicken nuggets and fries that we ate in the motel room at 10:00. We watched Sesame Street while the kids ate and took turns in the shower.
On Monday morning I woke up at 4 a.m., before the alarm. I got dressed, packed everything I could, then woke up everyone else. We were on the road just after 5 a.m. and through Denver before rush hour. I was so glad that we had left early as we drove with the commuting traffic to and through Denver. I can't imagine how much busier it was later!
It worked so well to start early! The kids were still groggy and sleepy and not as interested in stopping as they were later in the day. We stopped briefly in Laramie and Rawlins, then voted to eat lunch at IHOP in Rock Springs.
After lunch we drove to a city park that I found online, and it turned out to have the tallest playground I've ever seen at a city park!
It was fairly hot, around 85 degrees, but the kids still enjoyed playing for 20 minutes or so.
The longest part of the trip was after we left Rock Springs. We only had four hours of driving left, but nothing particular to look forward to, so the kids were more fussy and restless. We had to stop frequently for Dallin and Alexander.
We arrived in Pocatello while it was still light! We were so happy to be home at last!





No comments:
Post a Comment