We all pressured Isaac to get a date and go, too, but he just look flustered and shook his head.
As time wore on, I gave up pestering him. But secretly I hoped that an opportunity would arise.
I think it was Scott who originally suggested the idea of penguins. He mentioned the Madagascar penguins: "Smile and wave, boys!"
That ended up being the idea that worked out. We found a cute penguin beanie baby and some balloons. Aysha fell in love with the penguin, and we had a hard time wresting it away from her, but we all worked on the poster together.
The paper penguin was created by Joel.
Then we had to figure out how to get it to Emily. After some discussion, we realized that Joel was in her first hour class. But I was the one with the ability to get it there ahead of time. So I came into their class before school started and asked the teacher if I could set up a "promposal" in his room. Only one other student was in the room at the time, and fortuitously, she turned out to be seat neighbors and friends to Emily. She was very excited to help. She helped set it up and said she would make sure that Emily received it.
Isaac received his answer the next day:
Every week or so I had asked Joel, "So who are you going with? Can I help plan a dinner for your group? What are the plans?" He would answer that he didn't know, one of the other boys was "in charge."
On Wednesday or Thursday, the truth came out that no one had actually organized a group plan. Their group had turned into a very large group of two or three small groups together, and they hadn't really planned anything. So on Thursday, a few of us moms whipped up a dinner plan. Each of the small groups planned their own "day dates" that worked with their schedules and interests.
One mom arranged for the whole group to eat dinner in the lobby of the credit union where her husband works. Another mom offered her yard with a magnificent view for photos. Another mom took photos of the group and individual couples. A couple of moms had elegant decorations and dishes to share. Several moms provided potluck dishes for the dinner, and it all came together beautifully!
photo with two of the small groups
Here is the whole group!
dinner in the credit union lobby -- one of three tables
Isaac and Emily
Joel and Katie
All the handsome young men












No comments:
Post a Comment