Emerald has a fascination for unusual creatures -- spiders, alligators, sharks, etc. -- as well as many imaginative creatures such as dragons and Pokemon. She has said before that she likes "cute spiders." I am assuming those fall into the imaginative creatures category, since I have never actually observed a "cute spider" myself.
A month or so ago, each person who walked passed Emerald's room was suddenly startled by three spiders dangling in the doorway:
Although close inspection reveals that they are three plastic spiders dangling from strings, the body goes through all the stages of shock and fight-or-flight before the brain kicks in enough to register that they are not a threat. This happened to all of us several times before we finally got used to them.
I named them "Joy, Nellie, and Arania," after Charlotte's daughters in Charlotte's Web. Emerald, however, did not hang them with such friendly intention, as she established by posting a sign a few days later:
Just another ring of the Entrikin family circus!


No comments:
Post a Comment